Before we get to this delicious dessert, a little update: Ben and I are having lots of fun in California (you can follow along on instagram here) and it really blows my mind that some people expect seventy degree weather in November. Can it really be just a week ago that we were waking up to a winter wonderland in the frozen tundra of Ohio? If I wasn't so excited about the idea of a white Christmas (and, you know, if Ben didn't have to go back to work), we might not ever leave.
Anyway, back to this deliciousness. One of my favorite desserts is a classic brownie sunday. It doesn't get much better than a fudgy brownie smothered in vanilla (or mint chocolate chip) ice cream. I like the brownie warm and the ice cream frozen solid and I'll savor the whole thing with a fork.
So, in an attempt to put a spin on a classic favorite, I switched out the ice cream for HÄAGEN-DAZS® new Gelato Bars in the Caramel Vanilla Pizzelle flavor for our little friendsgiving last week. It was like having a delicious vanilla ice cream, ribbons of caramel, and shavings of really good chocolate and crunchy Italian-style pizelle cookies stacked over a warm brownie ...yum!
All you need:
- 1 pan of brownies (you can opt for the box, or try our favorite homemade recipe here)
- 1 box of HÄAGEN-DAZS® Gelato Bars in Caramel Vanilla Pizzelle (I used half a bar for each serving and grabbed them from the frozen section at Walmart)
- a bit of chocolate sauce (or caramel sauce)
- whipped cream optional
All you'll do:
- Chop up each gelato bar into cubes using a chef knife after removing the stick (I wiggled mine right out)
- Arrange on top of a piece of warm brownie
- Drizzle with your choice of chocolate or caramel sauce and top with whipped cream if desired.
- Serve immediately
**You could make them beforehand and put them back in the freezer if you're willing to give up your warm brownies
^I thought about serving them in mason jars but realized I'd need quite a bit more brownie + gelato bar per serving if I wanted to do that (which would be totally fine if we hadn't just stuffed ourselves with lots of dinner)
^I might not have gotten kid friendly awards for the dinner dishes, but the little ones liked these as much as the adults