Notes From New York City
I spent the past 10 days on the East coast.
I got to see my family, which was wonderful.
I also got to push myself harder than I ever have.
I got to meet some incredible people,
and really get to know some others.
Here's what I learned:
1. Not everyone handles stress well. Most people handle it quite poorly, actually.
2. I am happiest when I am working really hard.
3. I can't do things by myself.
4. Relationships are the most rewarding.
5. Doing things together creates those relationships.
6. It is hard for me to haggle.
7. Being nice doesn't mean you have to be a pushover.
8. It is better to be classy than to be right.
9. I get a little emotional, and REALLY excited about things when I have NO sleep.
10. Dinner at 1am tastes even better than at 7pm.
11. Broadway makes the best kind of music.
12. People are the same really, even if we live 3000 miles away.
Side note: I had the best MUN partner there. If it hadn't been for him, there is no way we would have been so successful, and there is no chance I would have remained sane through the whole thing. Thanks, David, for being awesome - and for putting up with me for a week and a half. We couldn't have done it without you.
Other Side note: BYU kept up our five year winning streak - and hopefully I'll be back next year to make it 7.
Here are some pictures from the trip. Very few were taken in committee - but here are some snapshots:
|9 - 11 Memorial|
|Roommate #1: I had forgotten how fun it was to live with girls.|
|Funny story - I was her freshman mentor, and now we have two classes together :)|
|Greatest M.U.N. parter ever.|
|Aren't they just adorable?|
|David and I found this pub - our go to after-committee-1-in-the-morning dinner location.|
|waiting for the elevator...|
|Shake shack! best burgers - and this picture makes me smile :)|
|General Assembly First Committee - these guys are amazing.|
|We frequented walgreens at 2am. Just so David could stare at this sign.|
|Alisa and I get a little weird at 2am.|
|Future Secretary General? I think yes.|
|Sitting in Burundi's real seat in the United Nations.|
|Apparently national symbols are not allowed in the UN - David is about to get busted.|
|yes, this about sums up our partnership. - especially after a week of very little sleep.|
|Our new favorite people from Holland :)|
|So we were trying to find this little vintage dress shop - and instead found a tiny museum.|
|$9000 for an obese, poop-like sculpture?|
|Yes, the artists specialty was balloons and yarn.|
|We had a slight crisis attempting to get to Newsies. Once again, David saved the day.|
|Greatest show on broadway? Maybe.|
|yes we bought newsies hats in china town before the show. we're that cool.|
|The Newsies group!|
|Ice cream bar bar. Melted chocolate, chocolate wafers, and candied pecans. Heaven? I think so.|
Sorry for the overload.
Maybe you got a taste of why this week was so, so incredible.
But I doubt it :)