Last week I told you guys about the splendid little vegan bbq I went to. I also promised to share the vegan cupcakes I made. When Olivia asked me to bring a dessert that had no real chocolate, butter, milk, or eggs in it, I will admit I was at a loss. For me, its not dessert unless it includes chocolate. But turns out being vegan doesn't mean you can't eat super yummy desserts too. And it also turns out, there is nothing real in oreos so it all works out.
The cupcakes were a hit and who knows, maybe I'll even make them for a non vegan event sometime, but we'll see.
We'll start with the cupcakes:
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
And now for the frosting:
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- 1/2 cup crushed oreo cookies
- half a sandwich cookie for each cookie
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla, cookies, and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
For this, and more awesome recipes, visit http://www.chow.com/