Yes, I know that picture is a little blurry. And there were clearer ones to pick from, but his face was just too good to pass up.
Being married to my best friend is wonderful, and it would be enough if it needed to be, but we are so lucky to have our happiness added to by the other goofballs in our life.
There is something unifying about spending time with other people too. It helps us define ourself as a couple, and gives us the chance to support each other in public. Having Ben defend me, or back me up on something in a group of people means something different when he does it with just the two of us. Its good both times, but there's something about the former that makes me smile and want to hold his hand under the table.
So, in honor of friends, I wanted to share some of our favorite double date ideas:
1. Decorate gingerbread houses. Yes, this may seem out of season but decorating graham crackers with candy is NEVER out of season. Its fun to do with another couple because each of you guys can decorate your own. Its great to collaborate on something while still being with other people.
2. Play team games. Competing together on the same team is great to emphasize Ben's favorite thing to tell me: "we're on the same team." Being on the same "team" in marriage, or any relationship, is super important - and so why not practice with fun games? (our favorite are BeRhymed and SpotIt, although the latter has to be adapted for team play.)
3. Play doubles tennis. We haven't actually done this yet; we've only played tennis one on one, but we're excited to do it sometime this summer! (This is even better if you guys don't play tennis - new activities release chemicals that cause bonding in couples.)
4. Rock Climbing! I know, I know, we do this a lot. But the first time it was a double date. And even if you're terrified - it'll be great! You don't have to be fabulous at it for it to be fun. If you hate it, blame me :)
5. Bowling with a twist. Bowl two games, one with bumpers and one without. On the one without you are trying to get the highest score. On the one with bumpers you're trying to get the lowest score. Its a fun little twist that doesn't require great bowling skills :)
Here are a few others:
6. Mini golfing (it's our staple this summer)
7. Go on a hike and plan a picnic.
8. Cook a meal together and have a dinner party!
9. Get dressed up and go out for fancy desserts.
10. Anything you two already love to do together - invite another couple or two and make it a party!
What are your favorite double date ideas?